Baking is a fun activity for little ones - and they'll love the end result!
Our foodie bear, Crumble, is here to teach you how to make delicious butterfly cakes for you and your family to enjoy. This recipe makes about 10 cakes.
Ingredients you'll need
For the sponge:
110g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
110g self raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
220g icing sugar
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180C (fan)
2) Cream together the butter and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl until it is fully combined and becomes light and fluffy
3) Add one egg and sieve about a third of the flour into the bowl, then mix until just combined
4) Add the second egg and another third of the flour into the bowl, then mix again until just combined
5) Add the last remaining third of the flour with the vanilla extract and mix again until just combined
6) Spoon the mixture evenly between 10 muffin cases and bake for approximately 25 minutes
7) Make your buttercream by beating together the icing sugar and butter in a bowl until smooth and creamy
8) Once the cakes are cooled, ask an adult to cut out upside-down, shallow cone shapes out of the top of each cake
9) Cut these shapes in half
10) Fill the holes in the cakes with buttercream, then places two pieces of cut out cake on top (like wings)
11) Dust with icing sugar and eat!