The amenities support visitors to the centre with adult social care needs. The space has been decorated in a bright colour scheme and includes features such as a hoist, height adjustable bench, accessible handles and state-of-the-art alarm system.
Francesca Donovan, Centre Manager at Westwood Cross, said: “We strive to ensure Westwood Cross is accessible to all guests and are delighted to open our facilities to our customers.
We would like to thank Mencap for their help with the decor and design and would be grateful to our valued customers for their feedback. All of the public toilets are located on the first floor of the management suite, above Subway.
Guidelines for the use of the equipment in the Accessible Toilet
1. Before using the facility for the first time, the parents/carers must register with Reception and receive some basic information on the use of the equipment.
2. For health and safety reasons, please only use the sling compatible with the loop system. It is the carer’s responsibility to satisfy themselves regarding compatibility and please note that we do not supply slings for safety reasons.
3. Before using the Changing bench, please ensure that a protective paper sheet is placed on the bench and removed after use.
4. All soiled/disposable material should be placed in the sanitary bins provided.
5. Please take all soiled clothing away, and under no circumstances should clothing be washed on the premises as this will cause contamination.
6. It is the carer’s responsibility to ensure the safety of the user at all times including the use of the hoist, and under no circumstances should the weight limit of the equipment be exceeded. The maximum weight of the hoist is 200kg/31 stone and for the changing bench the maximum weight is 21 stone.
7. In order to ensure the high quality of this service, it is necessary to report any damage or hygiene issues to the attendant immediately.
8. After using the room, please tell the attendant, they will then check the facility and lock the room before the next user. In the interest of hygiene and safety please do not allow another user to enter the room unless requested to do so by an attendant.
Please note the hoist is not for independent use.